Up to 50% of people with Covid-19 have no symptoms
None of us as physicians have ever seen anything like this. We read about the Spanish Flu in medical school and have had this underlying notion that a pandemic may happen, but it was always theoretical. It’s no longer a theory. It’s something that the world was not prepared for. Every country in the world, including citizens, government leaders and healthcare systems were sorely unprepared.
The evidence has pointed to asymptomatic carriers of the Covid-19 for some time now. On the first cruise ship held up in port in Japan 17.9% had the coronavirus but no symptoms. They felt well and had no idea they could be spreading the virus. Covid-19 is spread by breathing.
Information released today from the French Government showed:
- On France’s sole aircraft carrier, the Charles de Gaulle, more than half of the crew have tested positive for the new coronavirus.
- The French parliament was told that 1,081 out of 2,010 tests carried out had shown a positive result. A total of 545 sailors had shown symptoms and 24 were in hospital.
What does this mean for us?
- It appears that approximately 50% of the crew members could infect others without knowing they were indeed infected themselves.
- Asymptomatic Covid-19 carriers on the French Aircraft carrier was 2.5 times the asymptomatic rate on the Princess Cruise ship.
- The crew members tend to be younger than the population on a cruise ship.
- It appears many of the younger population may not get symptoms of Covid-19 at all putting those around them at risk.
So what do we need to do?
- Make a mask and wear a mask.
- Keep surgical grade masks available for Doctors, Nurses and other healthcare workers who are working to save lives.
- Follow the direction of the White House leadership and listen carefully to Dr. Anthony Fauci and Dr. Deborah Brix. In addition, follow the leadership of the state where you reside.
- Wear a mask when you are outdoors and will be in the presence of other people that are not part of your living group. Also, wear a mask when indoors at all places other than your home. If we assume that we could be carriers and those we come in contact with could also be carriers by wearing a mask we are protecting them and protecting us and ultimately protecting Healthcare workers.
- All employees at grocery stores and food handlers should wear masks.
- Everyone going to a grocery store should wear a mask.
- Only shop every 7-10 days and get enough food and supplies to last you that length of time.