Eight Habits to Improve your Sleep!
Here is sleep advice that has worked well for me and my patients:
- No exercise for at least 6 hours before sleep. Exercise is good for you but raises your adrenalin levels. Exercise early afternoon or morning as late workouts will hinder a good sleep.
- Do not watch television for at least one hour before bedtime. High action shows and news that upsets you is not the way to relax before bedtime.
- Turn lights down low in your home about an hour before bed.
- No late meals, you will feel lousy and will not be able to sleep.
- Snack on a light complex carb snack, one cracker or flax seed biscuit and a small glass of water about an hour before bed.
- Do not drink alcohol for at least 4 hours before bed.
- Write your to-do lists during the day for your next day of work. Worrying about forgetting something will not help you sleep. Keep it on paper not in your head.
- Relax and speak softly for your last hour before retiring to bed. Think happy thoughts!
Now enjoy a better night’s rest!
Brian Goertz MD